LERWICK - Shetland Livestock Marketing Group in conjunction with Aberdeen & Northern Marts had 331 Weaned Calves, Store Cattle and breeding cattle at their annual Show & Sale.
The Show generously sponsored by M R Gair, the local agents for Isuzu Commercial vehicles, was judged by John Eadie, Halhill Farm, Kineff.
- Champion and first prize heifer – I Jeromson, Vindas, Laxfirth, Tingwall.
- 1st Prize Stot – J & A Nicholson, Breckon, Cullivoe, Yell.
- 2nd Prize Stot – I Jeromson, Vindas.
- 2nd Prize Heifer – P Anderson, East Gate, East Burrafirth.
The vendors and buyers are to be congratulated for supporting this sale. To vendors for the quality, presentation and preparation of the calves which was excellent. Most of the spring born calves matched or exceeded mainland prices without the extra expense of shipping and of course the resultant losses of gut fill weight.
It was very encouraging to see so many well bred cattle forward and although the majority were purchased for shipping south a good proportion stayed on the island to be finished for future slaughter in the adjoining abattoir.
- Stot calves sold to a top price per kilo of 322p per kilo for a British Blue cross from J & A Nicholson, Breckon (1st prize stot) and to £980 for a Charolais cross (2nd Prize Stot) from I Jeromson, Vindas to average 251.8p per kilo.
- Heifer calves sold to a top price per kilo of 267.9 p per kilo for a Charolais cross (Champion & 1st prize heifer) from I Jeromson, Vindas and to £860 for the same animal to average 226.2p per kilo
- Store bullocks sold to a top price per head of £1280 for a Charolais bullock from Messrs Budge, Bigton Farm, Bigton to average 212.4p per kilo.
- Store heifers sold to a top price per head of £1130 for a Shorthorn Cross from I T & J Jamieson, Vesquoy, Muness to average 202.2p per kilo.
Leading Prices Stot Calves – per head.
AAx £750 & £740 Emohruo, Cullivoe; £740 & £715 Urgarth, Baltasound; £670 Gaets – A – Voe, Ollaberry; £660 Hoversta, Bressay;
Shorthornx - £820 Breckon, Cullivoe; £700 Lunna Farm, Vidlin; £645 Heights, Hamar; £640 Vesquoy, Muness;
British Bluex - £1140& £770 Breckon, Cullivoe;
Charolaisx - £980 & £900 Vindas, Laxfirth; £950 Swarthoull, Skeld; £890 North House, Gonfirth;
Limousinx - £890 East Gate, East Burrafirth; £805 Serrang, Stromfirth;
Simmentalx - £790 & £740 & £730 Sandlodge, Sandwick
Leading Prices Heifer Calves – Per head.
AAx - £645 Urgarth, Uyeasound; £530 Gaets – A Voe
British Bluex - £570 & £555 Breckon, Cullivoe;
Charolaisx - £860 & £770 & £750 Vindas, Laxfirth; £790 North House, Gonfirth;
Limousinx - £700 & £695 & £690 East Gate, East Burrafirth; £650 Serrang, Stromfirth;
Leading Prices Store Bullocks – Per Head.
AAx - £1260 Vailima, Symbister; £1200 Setter, Bressay; £1190 & £1090 Hoversta, Bressay; £1050 Braewick, Eshaness; £1000 Serrang, Stromfirth; £980 Ernahoull, Uyeasound;
British Bluex - £1140 Breckon, Cullivoe;
Charolaisx - £1240 Vailima, Symbister; £1150 Bigton Farm, Bigton; £1100 Braewick, Eshaness; £1090 Swarthoull, Skeld; £1050 Braewick, Eshaness;
Limousinx - £1150 Vailima, Symbister;
Salersx - £1280 Bigton Farm, Bigton; £960 Northpark Holdings, Cunnister;
Simmentalx - £1200 Setter, Bressay; £1170 & £1150 Vailima, Symbister; £1140 Giggleswick, Burravoe; £1020 Selivoe, Bridge of Walls;
Leading Prices Store Heifers – Per Head.
AAx - £940 & £870 Hoversta, Bressay; £820 Ernahoull, Uyeasound;
Limousinx - £970 Mailand, Baltasound;
Salersx - £1030 Bigton Farm, Bigton;
Simmentalx - £1000 Selivoe, Bridge of Walls; £990 Giggleswick, Burravoe;
Leading Prices Stots – Per Kilo.
AAx – 246.9p & 241.9p Gaets – A – Voe, Ollaberry; 232.7 Ernahoull, Uyeasound; 227p Vailima, Symbister; 225.4p Urgarth, Baltasound;
Charolaisx – 295.9p Sandlodge Farm, Sandwick; 293p Vindas, Laxfirth; 287.6p North House, Gonfirth; 282.8p Lower Flugarth; 270.2p Arrandaal, North Nesting; 269.4p North House, Gonfirth;
Shorthornx – 235.7p & 235.3p & 231.4p Lunna Farm, Vidlin;
British Bluex – 261.1p & 257.5p Breckon, Cullivoe;
Limousinx – 266.7p Lower Flugarth, Vidlin; 263.2p Serrang, Stromfirth; 258.8p Lower Longaskule, Twatt;
Simmentalx – 256.5p Sandlodge Farm, Sandwick;
Leading Prices Heifers – Per Head.
AAx – 198.7p & 198.5 & 197.2p Urgarth, Baltasound;
British Bluex – 265.6p & 246.6p & 234.6p Breckon, Cullivoe;
Charolaisx – 267.9p & 254.2p & 252.5p Vindas, Laxfirth; 244.2p Lower Flugarth, Vidlin;
Limousinx – 253.6p & 235.3p & 233.2p East Gate, East Burrafirth;
OTM Cows to £830 & £800 Ernahoull, Uyeasound; £800 Fairview, North Roe;
OTM Heifers to £1140 Breckon, Cullivoe;
Spring Calving Cows £880; £800; £750 Breckon, Cullivoe
Spring Calving Heifers - £990 Selivoe, Bridge of Walls;